Saturday, January 24, 2009

Jogging the memory

There was something I really wanted to write about earlier, but can't remember it for the life of me. Another funny story about one of the many ironies I've encountered here. Ah, well.

Now there's a RIDICULOUS 1970s sci-fi movie (American, dubbed into Hindi) on the TV. The well-dressed young Indian lad sitting next to me is scanning the internets for photos of scantily-dressed western women. (Pretty common in the internet cafes. But then, with no privacy to allow fun Google searches at home, where else can they go?) As Laura said in a recent post, it's not really a good idea to wander the streets in a bikini. It kind of gives the wrong idea. Clothes identify you in particular ways here. Similar to the States (only the rich can fashionably look poor, for example; then there are popular religious communities where women aren't allowed to wear pants; then, of course, there's the Amish). Similar, only different rules.

Oh, wait, it's not a ridiculous 1970s sci-fi. It's Roger Moore as James Bond, with epic NASA space battle at the end. And by "epic" I mean "ludicrous." Indians love Roger Moore. I think it's connected to their overall fantastic sense of humor.

So many things to write about! We've been all over and done so much. On the train ride back to Mumbai the other day Laura commented that one of the big differences between this and trips we've done in the past is that we've met and travelled with so many interesting people. I don't know if it's us, India or something in between, but we've made many new friends who we're eager to see again. Unfortunately they're scattered across the globe. Well it'll give us more reason to travel, and hopefully more frequently.

My notebooks are full of stories, adventures, phone numbers, names, places, words & phrases in several different languages. My spanish is more fluent, I've even picked up french again. So what did we do today that reminded me of a story I wanted to write?

We arrived last night and got a hold of Gunjan, Laura's co-worker from Boston who's living with her husband now in Mumbai. She invited us out to what turned out to be a going-away work party for her. This being the advertising world, drinks were instantly procurred for us upon our arrival and we were invited into the fray. Small world, and agency life seems to be about the same here as in NYC. We could pick out the designers, the techies huddled awkwardly in the corner, the strategists, the finance people. After a few Coronas I dragged Laura onto her feet to get the dance floor going. A few drinks later and the party was in full swing. The more boisterous of us were yucking it up on the dance floor and goofing around while others watched. Cameras were pulled out, enticing people to act out further. Excellent food came around, as did my favorite drink -- the gin & tonic. Gunjan giggled happily and staggered up to us after awhile.

"Guys, office parties aren't usually like this."

Either she was being humble or they need to invite New Yorkers to their parties more often.

For us it was a fantastic way to blow off steam after a 24-hour train ride from Bangalore and from the anxiety we're both feeling about going back home. I was sore and cranky as hell when I woke up this morning, but after a lot of water and food to ease away the hangover we ran around the city and had a fun day. Which reminds me of a story I want to tell ...

No comments: